October 15, 2018 - 9.30am-12.30pm
Melbourne Bioinformatics Boardroom, 187 Grattan Street, Carlton, VIC 3053 Australia
Introduction to Unix
A hands-on workshop covering the basics of the Unix/Linux command line interface.Overview
Knowledge of the Unix operating system is fundamental to being productive on HPC systems. This workshop will introduce you to the fundamental Unix concepts by way of a series of hands-on exercises.
The workshop is facilitated by experienced Unix users who will be able to guide you through the exercises and offer assistance where needed.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Log into a Unix machine remotely
- Organise your files into directories
- Change file permissions to improve security and safety
- Create and edit files with a text editor
- Copy files between directories
- Use command line programs to manipulate files
- Automate your workflow using shell scripts
The workshop is intended for beginners with no prior experience in Unix.
Attendees are required to bring their own laptop computers.
LAST RUN: June 18, 2018